Michelle Feldman remains undefeated in early match play rounds at USBC Queens
2011 USBC Queens
While her trip to the tournament venue might be simple and scenic, the road to the coveted title that has eluded her for more than 15 years is shared by 31 other talented bowlers all with their eyes on the tiara and $20,000 first-place prize.
Among those still undefeated are top-qualifier and 2001 USBC Queens champion Carolyn Dorin-Ballard, who will take on her sister, Cathy Dorin-Lizzi of Sandusky, Ohio, in the next round of the winners bracket Tuesday morning, 2009 Queens winner Liz Johnson (below left) of nearby Cheektowaga, N.Y., who averaged 246.5 in her two wins Monday and Team USA member Shannon O'Keefe (below right), formerly of Rochester, N.Y., who averaged more than 251 in her two victories.
Feldman has been close to breaking through at the Queens in the past, including a runner-up finish in 2004 and a fifth-place effort at last year's event in El Paso, Texas, and she'd love to finally capture the crown in front of her hometown fans.
The 35-year-old right-hander had a fair share of family members and friends in the stands to see her wins over Mandy Wilson of Dayton, Ohio (631-570) and defending champion Kelly Kulick of Union, N.J. (655-514), and many likely will be back when she takes on Tracy Ganjoin of Brick, N.J., on Tuesday morning at 9 a.m. EDT.
"Being so close to home is especially cool when you bowl well, and it was nice to get those first two wins, so I can go home and relax a little bit," said Feldman, who teamed with USBC Hall of Famer Aleta Sill of Livonia, Mich., to take the Scratch Doubles lead at the USBC Women's Championships late last week.
"I've been close to winning this event a few times now, but for some reason, I haven't been able to finish it off. To be able to do it here would be pretty special."
Despite being bounced to the contenders bracket after losing to Feldman, Kulick (pictured left) defeated Jamie Rovner of West Hills, Calif., and still is in the hunt to become the first competitor to repeat as champion since Katsuko Sugimoto of Tokyo won back-to-back Queens titles in 1981 and 1982.
Jonquay Armon of Roselle, Ill., and Keli Callahan of Las Vegas each rolled perfect games in match play Monday. Armon was later eliminated, while Callahan is one of 16 bowlers still alive in the contenders bracket.
All of Tuesday's match play action will be live streamed on BOWL.com. The action begins at 9 a.m. EDT, and is scheduled to last until approximately 7 p.m. The championship round of the 2011 Queens will be televised live on ESPN2 on Wednesday, at 7 p.m. EDT.
Carolyn Dorin-Ballard leads USBC Queens field into match play
Carolyn Dorin-Ballard leads after two rounds at 2011 USBC Queens
Stefanie Nation leads after first round at 2011 USBC Queens
With target on her back, Kelly Kulick looks to defend Queens title
Anne Marie Duggan looking to win again at 2011 Queens
Diandra Asbaty gearing up for 2011 Queens
Missy Parkin looking beyond heartbreak at 2011 Queens
Bowling's major women's events to air in high definition on ESPN2
2011 USBC Queens - Match Play Results
Double elimination, three-game matches decided by total pinfall.
Winners remain in winners bracket. Losers move to contenders bracket.
(1) Carolyn Dorin-Ballard, Keller, Texas, def. (64) Margie Chetney, Baldwinsville, N.Y., 678-576
(33) Lori Colclasure, Grayslake, Ill., def. (32) Jodi Woessner, Oregon, Ohio, 677-624
(17) Cathy Dorin-Lizzi, Sandusky, Ohio, def. (48) Lisa Graham, Centerville, Ohio, 627-594
(16) April Ellis, Arlington, Texas, def. (49) Sue Jeziorski, Cheektowaga, N.Y., 618-508
(9) Michelle Feldman, Auburn, N.Y., def. (56) Mandy Wilson, Dayton, Ohio, 631-570
(24) Kelly Kulick, Union, N.J., def. (41) Samantha Williams, Baltimore, 619-601
(25) Tracy Ganjoin, Brick, N.J., def. Kristie Leong, S. San Francisco, Calif., 635-633
(8) Tina Stickney, Phoenix, def. (57) Chele Schirmer, Bel Air, Md., 682-555
(5) Carol Gianotti, Australia, def. (60) Elise Bolton, Merritt Island, Fla., 615-535
(28) Ashly Galante, Palm Harbor, Fla., def. (37) Shauna Shannon, Albuquerque, N.M., 602-581
(44) Karen Boyd, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., def. (21) Keli Callahan, Las Vegas, 572-555
(12) Shannon O'Keefe, Arlington, Texas, def. (53) Jenny Brown, Deland, Fla., 720-483
(52) Elysia Current, Ephrata, Pa., def. (13) Robin Romeo, Newhall, Calif., 706-587
(45) Louann Mosher, Watertown, N.Y., def. (20) Jennifer Higgins, Westerville, Ohio, 604-567
(36) Catie Jensen, Fort Worth, Texas, def. (29) Sarah Germano, Rochester, N.Y., 597-577
(4) Stefanie Nation, Grand Prairie, Texas, def. (61) Felicia Goll, St. Clair, Mich., 761-566
(3) Wendy Macpherson, Henderson, Nev., def. (62) Amanda Johnson, Tacoma, Wash., 611-573
(30) Lynda Barnes, Double Oak, Texas, def. (35) Olivia Sandham, Wichita, Kan., 699-640
(46) Jennifer Creno, East Syracuse, N.Y., def. (19) J. Martirano, Bronx, N.Y., 622-551
(51) Jacqui Reese, Roseto, Pa., def. (14) Clara Guerrero, Pflugerville, Texas, 698-633
(11) Kari Watson, Kettering, Ohio, def. (54) Lisa Barfield, Silverdale, Wash., 559-501
(22) Kim Terrell-Kearney, Grand Prairie, Texas, def. (43) Jamie Martin, Omaha, Neb., 659-618
(38) Diandra Asbaty, Chicago, def. (27) Jamie Rovner, West Hills, Calif., 646-603
(6) Leanne Hulsenberg, Roseville, Calif., def. (59) Stephanie Brownie, Louisville, Ky., 606-534
(7) Liz Johnson, Cheektowaga, N.Y., def. (58) Tish Johnson, Colorado Springs, Colo., 724-689
(26) Aesha Turner, Tempe, Ariz., def. (39) Debbie Ayers, El Cajon, Calif., 619-571
(23) Christina Kinney, Las Vegas, def. (42) Paola Gomez, Weston, Fla., 592-525
(55) Nikki Lunsford, Plainfield, Ill., def. (10) Maxine Nable, Australia, 672-647
(15) Missy Parkin, Lake Forest, Calif., def. (50) Aumi Guerra, Dominican Republic, 678-676
(47) Kayla Bandy, Pikeville, Ky., def. (18) Tracy Luncford, Des Plaines, Iowa, 724-703
(34) Cassie Leuthold, Black Hawk, S.D., def. (31) Kimberly Hogue, Akron, Ohio, 682-640
(63) Jonquay Armon, Roselle, Ill., def. (2) Shannon Pluhowsky, Kettering, Ohio, 733-626
Winners Bracket - Round 1
Winner remains in the Winners Bracket, loser moves to the Contenders Bracket.
Dorin-Ballard def. Colclasure, 679-668
Dorin-Lizzi def. Ellis, 637-574
Feldman def. Kulick, 645-514
Ganjoin def. Stickney, 609-550
Galante def. Gianotti, 687-644
O'Keefe def. Boyd, 788-578
Current def. Mosher, 666-0
Jensen def. Nation, 632-561
Macpherson def. Barnes, 654-616
Reese def. Creno, 647-579
Terrell-Kearney def. Watson, 663-663 (236-208)
Asbaty def. Hulsenberg, 654-561
L. Johnson def. Turner, 755-584
Lunsford def. Kinney, 667-600
Parkin def. Bandy, 645-601
Leuthold def. Armon, 718-616
Contenders Bracket - Round 1
Winners advance, losers eliminated, earn $750.
Woessner def. Chetney, 738-505
Leong def. Schirmer, 528-522
Graham def. Jeziorski, 635-602
Williams def. Wilson, 687-603
Bolton def. Shannon, 724-635
Goll def. Germano, 689-629
Callahan def. Brown, 622-544
Romeo def. Higgins, 773-739 (four games)
Sandham def. A. Johnson, 704-583
Rovner def. Brownie, 591-521
Guerrero def. Martirano, 617-592
Martin def. Barfield, 674-577
T. Johnson def. Ayers, 576-568
Hogue def. Pluhowsky, 642-628
Gomez def. Nable, 627-612
Luncsford def. Guerra, 680-593
Contenders Bracket - Round 2
Winners advance, losers eliminated, earn $900.
Woessner def. Creno, 707-604
Watson def. Leong, 691-575
Barnes def. Graham, 631-628
Hulsenberg def. Williams, 669-579
Bolton def. Kinney, 609-606
Goll def. Bandy, 601-564
Callahan def. Turner, 739-580
Romeo def. Armon, 754-646
Sandham def. Ellis, 695-619
Kulick def. Rovner, 774-513
Guerrero def. Colclasure, 587-538
Martin def. Stickney, 712-668
T. Johnson def. Boyd, 620-536
Hogue def. Mosher, 622-0
Gomez def. Gianotti, 685-562
Luncsford def. Nation, 596-565